When you’re in need of a low-effort and delicious meal that everyone will love, handmade pizza is a common contender. Tacoma Boys’ handmade pizzas are easy to grab and pop in the oven at home during a busy day or to feed a crowd of hungry Seahawks fans in the middle of a game on a Sunday afternoon. And what could go better with pizza than beer and wine? At Tacoma Boys, you’ll find the best beverage to wash down those slices from our massive selection of domestic and imported beer, wine, and hard cider. Read on for your favorite pizza’s perfect pair, whether it be a crisp glass of chardonnay with a simple slice of cheese pizza or a dark IPA matched with pepperoni.
Handmade Pizzas to Take Out
Peruse near the deli section for a selection of handmade pizza ready to go. You’ll see several different pizzas with toppings and sauces to choose from. We make the pizza handmade so it tastes fresh and satisfying alongside a cold beer or glass of wine. The oven-ready handmade pizzas have a slightly thinner crust, making them quick to cook but enjoyable for all. Try one of our classic combinations for a can’t-miss meal of melty cheese, chewy crust, and tasty toppings.
- Pesto chicken with sun-dried tomato
- Supreme combination including sausage, peppers, olives, onions, and more
- Hawaiian including Canadian bacon and pineapple
Pairing Pizza and Beer
Pizza and beer are a tried and true pair of pals. The combination has long been popular as a hearty, widely enjoyed, and easy-to-prepare meal for groups. There’s just something about a refreshing swig of a cold brew after the contrasting crunch of a hot pizza crust! Pizza and beer bring out similar flavors in each other, playing off sturdy notes of savory yeast and rich malt. It doesn’t take much to bake a pizza and put out a few six packs for an afternoon at home, making the pair ideal for hosting.
Types of Beer
Though any pizza is bound to play nicely with any beer, certain kinds of pizza and beer go together exceptionally well. Think light brews with light-colored ingredients, and dark brews with richer ingredients and toppings.
- Pilsner / Hawaiian or pesto chicken pizza
- IPAs or lagers / Combination or pepperoni pizza
- Light, fruity beers / Cheese pizza
A Few Favorites
- E9 Brewing Company: Saison Ale, Amber Ale, Dry Hopped Lager
- Georgetown Brewing Company: India Pale Ale, Pale Ale, Pilsner,
- Silver City Brewery: Peach IPA, Red Ale, India Pale Ale
Pairing Wine with Pizza
Wine pairings aren’t the first thing many people think of when it’s time to chow down on a pizza pie. However, a full-bodied glass of red or a cool glass of white wine go great with acidic sauces and flavorful toppings. For example, red wines play well with rich tomato sauce and toppings like pepperoni and peppers. On the other hand, consider a white wine pairing with light flavors like pesto and white sauce pizzas with subtle toppings like chicken and spinach. If you’re feeling indecisive, go for one of Tacoma Boys’ preferred wines to pair with our handmade pizza or download the wine wisdom guide by submitting your email address here.
White wine pairs best with light, simple pizzas like pesto chicken, Hawaiian, or regular cheese pizza. The sweeter the wine, the simpler the ingredients.
- Roscato Bianco Dolce is a sweet white wine from Italy with a small amount of carbonation and a low alcohol content.
- Scarpetta 2017 Frico Bianco is a crisp, light cuvée made from multiple varieties of grapes.
Red wine pairings fit best with rich, robust flavors like combination/supreme and pepperoni pizza. Highly acidic reds like pinot noir pair well with traditional tomato sauce.
- Fontalpino 2015 Carpineta Fontalpino Chianti Classico is a Sangiovese with strong tannins and acidity and notes of juicy berries.
- Passion Vineyards 2006 Syrah is a traditional, deep Syrah from Washington state.
Sparkling or rose wine pairs well with just about anything. A plain palette makes it easy to wash down extra cheesy pizza with a glass of bubbly.
- Portlandia 2019 Oregon Rose is a rose of pinot gris and noir with fresh hints of citrus.
- Adult•ing Sparkling White Wine is a fun, base white wine with bubbles to boot.
Find Your Perfect Pair at Tacoma Boys
Tacoma Boys’ wide selection of beer and wine makes it easy to find your favorite. If you’re struggling to settle on the right choice, we’re ready to jump in and offer suggestions and assistance. Wondering if we’ve got your go-to drink in stock? Stop on by! And to stay up-to-date on the latest insider deals and specials, sign up for Tacoma Boys text list. Just text (253) 246-1661 to tell Paul you want to be on the list!