Winter Barley Salad with Squash + Apples
Fresh and nutritious, this vegan barley salad is packed with winter flavors! Seasonal produce like squash, carrot, and apple bring a variety of texture to this easy salad.
Try it for meal prep as a side or main for lunch!
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Pearl Barley
- 2 cups diced squash of choice
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp Bragg Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Spice Hunter Ground Paprika
- ¼ tsp Spice Hunter Ground Coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small honeycrisp apple, diced
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup Bragg Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Spice Hunter Dried Oregano Leaves
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Pinch salt and pepper to taste
Cook the BarleyCook the barley according to package directions, until tender but still firm. Drain if necessary, set aside, and let cool slightly.
Cook the SquashPreheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the squash and carrots with the oil, paprika, coriander, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, transfer to the oven, and roast for about 12-15 minutes or until tender. Set aside and let cool slightly.
Make the DressingIn a small bowl or jar with a lid on, whisk or shake all ingredients for the dressing until smooth.
Toss the SaladTo a large bowl, add the barley, cooked squash and carrots, diced apple, green onion, and parsley. Pour desired amount of dressing on top and toss to combine all ingredients and coat with the dressing.
Serve & Enjoy!Serve at room temperature or chilled.