Apple Pie Bars
These apple pie bars are a fun alternative to the classic apple pie, but with all the flavor! Crumbly, buttery crust surrounds spiced, stewed apples.
The bars are then baked until golden brown and cut into whatever shape and size you’d like.
- 4 cups Field Day Organic All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ cup Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- ⅔ cup Wholesome Natural Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 ½ cups Tillamook Salted Butter, cut into 1 inch pieces & softened
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 tbsp Tillamook Salted Butter
- 4 large Tacoma Boys granny smith apples, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Tacoma Boys Apple Pie Spice
Make the DoughIn a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, and salt. Use a fork or your hands to work the butter into the mixture until it resembles damp sand.
Preheat & PrepPreheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Spread First Layer of DoughSpread approximately ⅔ of the dough into the lined pan and press into one even layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, then remove from the refrigerator and set aside at room temperature for 5 minutes.
Par-Bake the DoughPar bake in a preheated oven for roughly 20 minutes, or until edges are beginning to brown. Set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
Make the Stewed ApplesMake the filling: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add apples, sugar, salt, cornstarch, lemon, and apple pie spice, and simmer, stirring often, until the apples are slightly tender and the liquid is thick, about 10 mins.
Spread the Next Layer of DoughSpread the stewed apples over the baked dough into one even layer. Crumble chunks of the remaining dough on top of the apples. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
Bake & CoolBake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and cooked through. Let cool for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing into bars or other desired shapes and sizes.