The air is warming, the flowers are blooming, and it’s just about time for a spring picnic. Springtime brings with it the chance to pack up some food, find a cozy patch of grass and roll out the blanket. Whatever else you like to do outdoors is up to you —Anyone up for a round of croquet?!— But tasty food, good company, and a nice space in the grass are timeless tenants of a spring picnic.
It’s easy to put together a spring picnic for you and your friends, significant other, or even solo! And it’s a great way to take advantage of the nice weather while we have the chance. You’re going to eat anyway— Might as well do it in a fun, different setting! But some people may not know where to start and how to plan for a fun afternoon picnicking. It doesn’t have to be complicated: However, Tacoma Boys has a few tips to get you ready for a season full of spring picnics.
Spring Picnic Tips
As lovely as a spring picnic sounds, some small details can trip you up and make for a less-than-ideal experience. Try to plan ahead and be prepared with sunscreen, water, utensils, plates, and of course, several snacks. And never forget the napkins, lest your adorable picnic blanket be subject to greasy fingers or small spills. Coolers are a good idea, too, if you plan to spend more than a couple hours enjoying the sunshine.
To make it an extra special spring picnic, place one of Tacoma Boys’ fresh flower bouquets in the center of your picnic blanket!
Another suggestion to avoid bugs involves something you usually don’t bring outside: Light scented candles, specifically citrus-scented, to help ward away bees, gnats, flies, etc.
Location, Location, Location
The local public park is good. Your own backyard is fine. But this is a time to get creative! Think of your favorite nearby viewpoint, sandy beach, or grassy lake. The space doesn’t need to be fit with benches and waist-high picnic tables to host a lovely afternoon spring picnic. However, outdoor areas with picnic tables can be convenient. Whatever gets you to enjoy your spring picnic outdoors will work great!
Tacoma Boys’ Favorite Picnic Recipes
Before you go flocking to local parks or migrating to the backyard, you’ll want to have some picnic recipes ready to go. These are just a few light snacks and foods that can be picnic-perfect.
- This is a great time to take advantage of Tacoma Boys’ deli grab-and-go foods, like packaged Baked Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, or Sicilian Pasta Salad. These salads are easy to nibble on all afternoon and so delicious!
- Picnic recipes can be as simple as filling cut raw celery full of Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus or Tillamook Cream Cheese. Just top with your favorite nuts and seeds!
- Other finger foods like chopped raw vegetables with Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dip and Crescent Meats Spicy Sticks are great for picnicking.
- Everyone loves chips and salsa! Tacoma Boys offers several varieties of jarred and fresh packaged salsas like Gourmet Pico de Gallo and Hatch Tomatillo Salsa. Plus, Tacoma Boys Blue Corn Tortilla Chips will add a fun burst of color to your spring picnic spread.
- Charcuterie boards are one of the easiest customizable picnic recipes. Tacoma Boys’ wide selection of snackable and specialty meat and cheese, like Boar’s Head Rolled Mozzarella & Prosciutto, and Creminelli Uncured Italian Salami are a simple base to your charcuterie board.
Eating Outside & The Benefits of Being in Nature
What better way to reap the benefits of nature in such sunny weather than with a spring picnic? There’s solid evidence that spending time outdoors, while eating or not, can reduce stress. Especially when the weather begins to warm, being around nature in the fresh open air is a great mood-booster.
Dining al fresco has been a fun, casual way to spend time and make memories with your loved ones for centuries. The natural setting is laid-back and allows for more focus on food and friends. When you take your lunch or afternoon snacks outside, it’s easier to take time to appreciate the food you’re enjoying and soak in the benefits of nature!
Celebrate Earth Day While You’re At It
If you happen to be out and about on April 22, make the effort to appreciate and sustain our planet’s resources. Earth Day on April 22 is all about taking time to respect and care for the environment. Opt for reusable utensils made with the likes of metal or bamboo, and glass mason jars rather than disposable to-go containers. Also consider:
- Cloth napkins, which are eco-friendly and aesthetic.
- Finger foods are your friend! This reduces the need for plates and utensils.
- A small garbage bag for the waste you will have to dispose of.
- A nature walk after your picnic. Reap the benefits of nature by simply taking in the scene.
Get Prepped at Tacoma Boys
It’s quite easy to throw together a basket full of food and get out to enjoy the springtime in nature. When you’re ready for a spring picnic, Tacoma Boys can help you get prepared. Stop by for grab-and-go foods, snacks, and any other ingredients you need to create your perfect picnic. For more tips on an enjoyable afternoon picnicking, check out our summer picnic guide from last year. And to stay up to date on insider deals and specials, sign up for Tacoma Boys’ text list. Just text (253) 246-1661 to tell Paul you want to be on the list!