Tacoma Boys’ Tips for a Backyard Memorial Day Barbecue
Hosting a Memorial Day barbecue in the backyard is a classic tradition for many in the U.S. It tends to mark the beginning of the summer and grilling season. Memorial Day is for remembering and honoring the Americans all throughout history who have lost their lives while serving the country. While respecting Memorial Day and those who have served, it’s often a day spent grilling good food, spending time with good company, and enjoying the warming weather!
Memorial Day Barbecue in the Backyard
It’s time to get ready for a meal at home with the family for a Memorial Day barbecue! This year, Memorial Day is May 31st, a perfect lead into June and the start of summer. The long weekend is often celebrated with camping, cookouts, and summer-centric foods cooked on the grill. Kick off grilling season by preparing your favorites and setting up the backyard for a fun and easy Memorial Day celebration. If you’re looking forward to a backyard barbecue this year, Tacoma Boys has just a few tips to make it an extra enjoyable experience! If you’re wanting an outdoor grill to put in your backyard, head here for some help when choosing outdoor kitchen appliances so that you can get started experiencing the joys of cooking in the open air.
Tips & Tricks
- Clean up your backyard ahead of time. Make it easy to set up by cleaning and preparing the area ahead of time. If you’ve got a lot of clutter in the backyard, consider getting a storage shed from Backyard Storage or elsewhere to store all of that and clear up the space. Oh, and it’s probably time to break out the lawn mower for the first trim of the season!
- Set up the grill. Ensure your grill is ready to kick off the summer season by checking your levels of propane or charcoal. Clean the grill and round up your tools (spatula, tongs, grill fork, oven mitts, etc.). For grilling pellets, try BBQR’s Delight Hickory Pellet Grill Fuel.
- Stock up on supplies. Tacoma Boys is your one-stop shop for all the food you need for a Memorial Day barbecue. Specifically, a huge selection of several condiments means you can add extra flavor and customize the meal! Try Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Aioli or Sweet Honey Mustard on your burger or with grilled potatoes. If you’re looking for other options for your diet, try Chosen Foods Vegan or Keto Mayo to start. If you like pickled foods, Tacoma Boys offers a variety of options like Pickled Garden Medley, Peppered Pickles, Pickled Okra, German Sauerkraut, and much more.
- Set up yard games and decor. If you have outdoor or Memorial Day-themed decorations, now’s the time to put them up! And yard games are a fun activity to pass the time while the food is cooking and to even sneak in some exercise.
Memorial Day Activities
When you dust off the grill and start planning your Memorial Day activities, there are a few things to keep in mind. Memorial Day is a great time to enjoy a backyard barbecue. But it’s also a time to participate in other activities to observe the holiday while still having fun kicking off the summer season. This Memorial Day, take some time out of your day with the family to commemorate the holiday and honor those who have lost their lives.
Observe National Moment Of Remembrance
The National Moment of Remembrance is when Americans take a moment at 3:00pm local time to remember those who have died in military service. It’s a simple minute of silence uniting the nation and honoring Memorial Day.
Crafts for Kids
With a day off work and school for many families, you may be looking for Memorial Day activities to do with your kids. Take a moment to teach the kids what Memorial Day is all about while crafting. Think red, white, and blue construction paper or meaningful poppies. Any time is a good time to get creative with the kids!
Remember those yard games? To celebrate the start of summer, get active, and just have fun bonding with your family, grab some games. This could be horseshoes, cornhole, croquet, or even potato sack races! There are a variety of different creative yard games to choose from now.
Many towns host parades, monuments, and events to celebrate Memorial Day and honor those who have served. Check in on your local community centers and city hall to see how your neighborhood is marking Memorial Day.
To get ready for an extraordinary backyard barbecue, plan a few barbecue recipes for Memorial Day. This could include classic cookout foods like grilled burgers and hot dogs, potato salad, chips and salsa, and fresh summer fruit. Grab some of Tacoma Boys pre-made burger patties like jalapeño pepper jack Kobe burgers or applewood bacon cheddar burgers. You could also try some of these barbecue recipes for Memorial Day:
- Grilled chicken or fish slathered with one of Tacoma Boys many barbecue and grilling sauces. Try Peach Chipotle Sauce, Smoky Maple Glaze, Horseradish Barbecue Sauce, Citrus Grilling Sauce, and much more.
- Seasonal grilled vegetables like asparagus, zucchini, bell peppers, Walla Walla onions, and sweet corn.
- Greek Pasta Salad with feta cheese, cucumber, olives, chickpeas, and a balsamic dressing.
- Summer salad with radish, mixed greens, and parmesan cheese. Start with this recipe by Cooking Light.
- Grilled red potatoes: Simply slice into rounds, grease with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a hot grill for 10 minutes, until charred on both sides and fork tender. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce like ketchup, mustard, and barbecue sauce.
Prep for Memorial Day at Tacoma Boys
Stop at Tacoma Boys for everything you need for a delicious Memorial Day weekend barbecue! Stay up to date on insider deals and specials, sign up for Tacoma Boys’ text list. Just text (253) 246-1661 to tell Paul you want to be on the list!