Anyone who follows a vegan diet knows how important it is to have those go-to vegan staples stocked in the kitchen. Here at Tacoma Boys, we recognize various dietary needs and the importance of vegan staples. From fresh produce to dairy free milks, nuts and seeds, legumes, grains, and other necessities and specialities such as tofu. For those who don’t know, a vegan diet refrains from consumption of animal products. This includes meat, dairy, eggs, and any foods containing these ingredients.
Tacoma Boys’ Favorite Vegan Staples
Tacoma Boys has a wide variety of essentials to a vegan diet, but a few stick out as go-to favorites. Whether you’re looking for fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes or grains, you’ll find what you need for a well-rounded vegan diet. Even those that do not follow a vegan diet will be tempted to mix up their shopping list with a spread of these plant-based foods!
Fruits And Vegetables
Though necessary for any diet, the vegan diet relies heavily on fruits and vegetables for fiber and protein, which generally make up the bulk of a day’s eating. Vegetables like broccoli and spinach contain more protein than most people realize! Also, mushrooms tend to be included more in plant-based diets because of their rich, umami, almost “meaty” taste and texture. Mushrooms are great meat substitutes for meals that typically use beef!
- Ponderosa Dried Mushrooms including Chanterelle, Morel, Oyster, Portabella, and a few more varieties.
- White Mushrooms, Brown Crimini Mushrooms, and Shiitake Mushrooms
Other Go To Produce
- Leafy Greens like Kale
- Brussels Sprouts
When possible, buy locally grown produce.
Dairy Free Milks
Tacoma Boys is proud to offer a vast selection of dairy free “milks” made from nuts but also from many other foods like coconut and oats.
Find a couple different kinds in the refrigerated section, like Califia Farms Oatmilk and Mooala Plant-Based Creamer for coffee. A few more are shelf-stable like Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk, So Delicious Coconut Milk, Milkadamia Macadamia Milk, Pacific Foods Hemp, Hazelnut, Almond, Soy, and Coconut Milk, and much more to choose from.
Nuts And Seeds
Nuts and seeds are another essential vegan staple and source of protein and fiber.
Along with Northwest Delights Roasted Cashews and Almonds, vegans can enjoy dozens of nut and seed butters, from the traditional Field Day Organic Natural Peanut Butter, to SunButter Sunflower Butter, or Justin’s Almond Butter.
Legumes And Grains
The duo is often a backbone of a vegan diet because of the complete proteins. Whole grains with legumes deliver necessary amino acids that come together to create “complete protein,” which the body then uses for energy. In a vegan diet, this is important because complete proteins are mainly found in animal products like meat, eggs, and dairy. Read up more on plant-based and complete proteins here.
- Bob’s Red Mill is a popular brand among vegans because of its wide variety of whole grains and legumes, including Rolled Oats, Quinoa, Lentils, Cannellini Beans, Cracked Freekeh, and much more
- Farmer Direct Organics Black Beans, Lentils, Chickpeas or Split Green Peas
Other Vegan Staples
Everyone has a few go-to ingredients they like to use in their day-to-day cooking, vegans included! Here are some of our favorite specialty ingredients made from plants:
- Mori-Nu Silken and Extra Firm Tofu
- Kite Hill Almond Milk Yogurt Tzatziki Dip
- Follow Your Heart has a long line of vegan salad dressings and dips in variations like Caesar, Vegan Mayonnaise, and Thousand Island
- Good Planet Foods Plant-Based Cheese comes in flavors like Garlic & Herb, Cheddar, and Smoked Provolone
All you need is a few vegan staples and a bit of creativity to create delicious vegan recipes and meals. These vegan recipe ideas can get you started.
- This list of vegan recipes utilizing mushrooms is far from comprehensive, but a good look at how versatile the “meaty” vegetable is
- Blend So Delicious Coconut Milk with Frozen Berries found in the freezer section for a refreshing smoothie.
- Northwest Delights Cashews can be incorporated into several vegan recipes because they are super smooth and creamy when blended. You can easily make sweet or savory cream, use them in an alfredo sauce, or thicken up soups with blended cashews. The Vegan Alfredo Sauce by Nora Cooks is a delicious example on how you can transform cashews.
- This Lentil Rice Soup by Veggie Inspired is a great way to enjoy legumes and grains.
- Pan-fry pressed firm tofu with spices for a crispy source of protein.
Shopping for Plant Based Alternatives
It doesn’t have to be difficult to find vegan staples and plant based alternatives to common foods at Tacoma Boys. You can even get a hold of pre made Vegan Desserts, many of which are locally produced! If you need help finding your favorite vegan staple or plant based alternatives, just ask and we will be happy to point you in the right direction. And to stay up to date on insider deals and specials, sign up for Tacoma Boys’ text list. Just text (253) 246-1661 to tell Paul you want to be on the list!