3 Kid Friendly St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
St. Patrick’s Day is a fun holiday to celebrate with kids. Themed crafts, green treats, and adventures with the family can get everyone in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit! The cultural holiday is celebrated by the Irish and others in part by feasting on traditional food. It’s a celebration of Irish heritage, as well as an opportunity to have fun cooking and sporting shamrocks! But to get the kids a bit more involved, there’s a few more things you can do to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with Family
Many people have traditions with their families and friends for St. Patrick’s Day. Some communities will often hold St. Patrick’s Day parades to celebrate. And it’s certainly always a good time to dress in your best green gear. But this year, you may be looking for a few things to do at home with your family. Whether you are swapping out old traditions or adding to your plans, try these ways to celebrate at home with family.
- Get crafty: Put a spin on your kids’ favorite art activity with St. Patrick’s Day themes. Cut shamrocks out of construction paper, paint a pot of gold under a rainbow, or build a leprechaun with colored clay or blocks.
- Stage a treasure hunt: Let the kids loose in the backyard in search of clovers, something silver, and maybe even a hidden treat or two. Or, hide clues that lead to a nice big pot of gold.
- Sneak in some education: Learn and teach about Irish culture and the island of Ireland. If you celebrate more of the holiday, teach your kids about Saint Patrick and the history of St. Patrick’s Day.
- Cooking with kids: Cooking and eating together is a favorite St. Patrick’s Day activity for many families.
Cooking with Kids
Any day is a good day to start cooking with kids. Of course, it’s always a great opportunity for bonding and spending quality time together. But cooking with kids on St. Patrick’s Day can be extra special for a few reasons. You can introduce the family to new kinds of foods like Irish corned beef, cabbage, and apple tarts or other desserts. Tacoma Boys’ favorite way to make a quick and easy apple dessert is as simple as adding fresh green apples and butter to Concord Foods Apple Crisp Mix. Have some fun with green colored foods. Any chance to sneak some extra greens into your kids diet is definitely a win!
Start the day with Tacoma Boys’ McCann’s Irish Oatmeal topped with Northwest Delights Pepitas and Tacoma Boys’ Kiwi Slices. Or, blend up a smoothie with Tacoma Boys’ Frozen Berries, and Fresh Baby Spinach, and Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk for some green goodness.
Cooking with kids allows for great teaching moments: Make a math game out of measuring ingredients and practice counting. Or if your kids are a little older, allow them to learn by doing most of the cooking. Use art and science when baking and decorating cookies. It definitely won’t feel like learning! Chances are they’ll want to go green with frosting, sprinkles, and more.
Kid Friendly St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
Elevate your St. Patrick’s Day recipes with an array of green-colored foods to get your kids involved. It’s a great way to get them to eat some healthy food! And a fun time when they come up with their own ideas, too. These St. Patrick’s Day recipes are just a couple ways to have fun with cooking to celebrate. For dozens more kid-friendly St. Patrick’s Day recipe ideas, check out this list from Taste of Home.
- Clover shaped anything! With a clover-shaped cookie cutter or some smooth knife skills, you can cut your kids’ sandwich, cookies, sliced fruit, and more into the shamrock shape. Tacoma Boys’ has a wide selection of gluten-free bread, too, so no one will be left out of the fun-shaped sandwiches.
- Boil some of Mrs Miller’s Homemade Spinach Noodles and toss with Santini Pesto Genovese for an extra green kick. Serve with Tacoma Boys’ Panko-Breaded Chicken Cordon Bleu for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Throw together a green-themed charcuterie board with Tacoma Boys’ fresh sliced Deli Meats, Creminelli Italian Salami, Boars Head Havarti with Dill, Divina Green Olives, and crackers like Tacoma Boys’ French Baguette Chips. For a comprehensive guide on building the perfect charcuterie board, check out Tacoma Boys’ blog on charcuterie boards here.
Get Ready To Celebrate
Here at Tacoma Boys, we are excited to help you plan and execute your perfect St. Patrick’s Day with recipes that your kids can get involved in. Swing on by any location to gain even more inspiration for a fun holiday that the kids and family will love. Don’t hesitate to reach out for help if you’re looking for that one special ingredient!
To stay up-to-date on the latest insider deals and specials, including seasonal produce, sign up for Tacoma Boys text list. Just text (253) 246-1661 to tell Paul you want to be on the list!