The Tacoma Boys Guide to Healthy Spring Snacks
The last frost is melting, flowers are blooming, and it’s just about time to start eating some healthy spring snacks! Spring is a great time of the year to get creative in the kitchen and enjoy light and bright refreshments. And it’s always a good time to look forward to eating healthy. Tacoma Boys is always sure to have a variety of ingredients and seasonal foods for your favorite healthy spring snacks.
Healthy Spring Snacks
Enjoying healthy spring snacks can be as simple as pairing some of Tacoma Boys fresh local seasonal produce with another bite of protein or healthy fats. Something like Tillamook’s Smoked Black Pepper White Cheddar, Wild Friends’ Classic Creamy Peanut Butter, or a handful of Tacoma Boys’ Mixed Nuts will round out the snack. It’s a great time to get the kids involved and teach them about healthy eating. For quick packaged (but not processed) bites that the kids can grab themselves, try:
- Delreal Organic Coconut Date Rolls
- Karen’s Freeze Dried Fruit like strawberries and bananas, apples, raspberries, pomegranate, mango, and more.
- Northwest Delights Veggie Crisps
- Field Day Organic Apple Sauce
Local Seasonal Produce
What better way to celebrate the arrival of spring than by enjoying some of the Pacific Northwest’s best fresh seasonal produce? Washington has abundantly great produce all year-round. But when the sun starts shining and spring harvest rolls around, this is especially true.
Cooking with local seasonal produce is a sustainable and helpful way to support your local economy. That’s why Tacoma Boys has all the classic seasonal produce for your healthy spring snacks! Just be sure to browse our weekly specials and stop by regularly to enjoy rotating options. And if you need a guide to the basics of eating local seasonal food, check out our blog all about the topic.
Each spring, the Pacific Northwest and South Sound is ripe with these fruits and vegetables that are great for snacking.
While mushrooms grow abundantly year-round, spring is one of the best times of the year to forage. This means it’s also a great time for mushroom farmers with the likes of cremini, baby bella, chanterelle mushrooms, and more.
Watercress is a leafy green that is in the same family as kale and broccoli. The vegetable is often used as a garnish. But since it’s packed with all the good nutrients of a dark leafy green, it’s become even more popular as a simple salad foundation.
The pitted fruit is not as juicy and more tart than others, making it perfect for snacking on the go. They tend to last a little while too, compared to sensitive soft fruit that’s more prone to bruising and rapid rot.
Cherries usually come into play for Washingtonians near the tail end of spring and beginning of summer. Rainier and Bing cherries are popular varieties that grow in Washington state. Small and sweet, cherries make for easy snacking at home.
The winter citrus fruit stays flavorful and juicy throughout the beginning of spring, too. It’s a great option as a healthy snack because all you need is a spoon and maybe a sprinkling of sweetener if you’d like.
Healthy Snack Recipes
A few of our favorite healthy snack recipes are simple to make and always tasty. Get creative or start here for some ideas for healthy snack recipes.
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits by A Cup Full of Sass. We like Ellenos Yogurt and the freshest local seasonal produce. Fruit & overnight oats is another great option.
- Black Bean and Corn Salad by Two Spoons. This recipe can be a snack all on its own or served as a side to sandwiches or tacos.
- Beet and Watercress Salad by My Darling Lemon Thyme. For an extra dose of the spring season, sprinkle in some of Tacoma Boys’ Humble Honey Co. Bee Pollen!
- Homemade Trail Mix recipes by Fresh Off The Grid. This is a great way to customize your snack to exactly what you want. All you need to start is Tacoma Boys Nuts, Seeds, and Dried Fruit.
- Hummus and Raw Vegetables is a simple healthy snack recipe that’s quick to assemble together. Tacoma Boys likes Nomad Food Co. Garlic and Lemon Hummus with fresh snap peas and sliced bell pepper.
Shop For Spring Snacks
Enjoying healthy snack recipes is easy when shopping at Tacoma Boys for local spring produce. You can get all the ingredients you’ll need for a week’s worth of healthy snacking. It’s the perfect time of year to refresh your eating routine and try new fun food! To stay up to date on insider deals and specials, sign up for Tacoma Boys’ text list. Just text (253) 246-1661 to tell Paul you want to be on the list!